Fundacion Punta de Mita awards $214,000 pesos to five social projects in the region
On Wednesday, November 6th, Fundacion Punta de Mita announced the recipients of its “Strengthening Grassroots Organizations Grant” (FOROB for its name in Spanish), including 4 Non Profits and 1 community group. The $214,000 pesos will support five social projects in Puerto Vallarta and Bahía de Banderas. The selected projects will not only receive the financial support, but also mentoring and training, starting from the design of the project and for the next six months during its development.
For this 5th year of the FOROB grant, Fundacion Punta de Mita has partnered with the Global Fund for Community Foundations to fund the program and provide invaluable guidance and vision. The focus for this year’s grant is on projects which include all its stakeholders in the project design, implementation, evaluation and decision-making. Additionally, it seeks to build each recipient group’s capacity to generate alliances with the business sector.
The selected projects for 2019 are:
• Fundación Asistencial para personas con Síndrome de Down AC – “Sensory and psychomotricity integration therapy” – Develop a therapy manual and necessary materials for children with Down’s Syndrome. Train parents on therapy practices for the home and strengthen their children’s development.
• Desayunos para los Niños de Vallarta AC – “Lo Vamos a Lograr: Creative workshops for teens”— Mentoring for a group of teen leaders to develop and implement workshops attractive to middle and high school students on topicsw such as bullying, drugs, school abandonment, effective communication, etc.
• Fundación Ahora Es Tiempo de Dar AC – “Literacy workshops”— 40 hours of Reading and writing workshops through arts and games for two rural communities near Ixtapa, as a support to their regular elementary school education.
• Centro Cultural Vallartense – “Our Green Island”— Rescue and revitalize a public space in the Rio Cuale island through improvements in lighting, infrastructure, providing art and ecological workshops, as well as community gardening spaces.
• Ángeles en Libertad PV AC – “Transportápate, strategic planning and participatory methods”—Help repair the vehicle used to pick up water bottle tops which are then sold to raise money to cover medical expenses of low income families. The project will allow them to formulate a stronger strategic plan in conjunction with their community and increase their impact.